John Tung Foundation (JTF), funded by Mr. John Tung with the support of Dr. David Yen, is a non-profit organization established on May 19,1984. It is currently directed by Dr. Milton Mung-Shiung Shieh.
The mission of the Foundation is to promote the health of all Taiwanese people, by instilling in them the idea that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Its guiding philosophy is to promote "respect for life."
Under the leadership of past Presidents David Yen and Tomming Lai and past CEOs Ching-Chuan Yeh and Dr. Jenn-Tai Hwang, along with the efforts of all colleagues at the Foundation for the past 20 years, JTF is most well respected by the Taiwanese society for its advocacy and promotion of public health activities in Taiwan. It is not only respected by the public, the Foundation is also highly regarded by the Taiwanese government as one of the most important organizations dedicated to public welfare in the country.
The Food and Nutrition Division at John Tung Foundation (JTF)
Over one third of chronic diseases, including obesity, are related to improper diet. The foundation of good health lies in proper and balanced diet. What we eat determines, in a great part, whether we will live a healthy and happy life or we will suffer from physical problems. Lack of proper food hygiene and nutrition education can lead to serious health problems like obesity.
The Food and Nutrition Division at JTF has been established since 1984. Over the years, it has been dedicated to promoting a healthy, safe, nutritious and environmentally friendly diet for all Taiwanese. Collaborating with experts from government agencies and various fields, such as nutrition, food technology, public health, and education, the Division has been actively involved in numerous nutrition and health campaigns and advocacy of nutrition policies in Taiwan. To reach the public, the Division publishes numerous articles on food and nutrition issues on its website. It also provides public education on balanced nutrition and food hygiene to the general public.
In recent years, the Food and Nutrition Division has been keeping a close eye on health issues and regulations in schools, such as advocating the benefits of fruits and vegetables, dairy products, breakfast consumption, and balanced diet. It has also established a system of food classification for the school system to prevent junk food from entering campuses and school buildings.
To act as a supportive and advocating base for governmental and non-governmental organizations on food and nutrition issues. The Division has been recognized as an important opinion leader in nutrition-related issues in Taiwan. Starting with children's health education, the Division aims to improve people's dietary habits and to combat chronic diseases as a result of improper diet in order to create a healthy environment and a bright future for the people in Taiwan.
The Mission and Roles of the Division
The Mission of the Division is：To promote a healthy, safe, nutritious and environmental- friendly diet for all people in Taiwan.The Roles of the Division are：
- Opinion leader in nutrition-related issues
- Pioneer for advocating nutrition policies
- NGO leader of nutrition education programs/campaigns
1984~ To Promote Proper Healthy Diet Concepts in All Dimensions
- 1984~1986 conducted 22 sessions of “ Nutrition Education Classes” in local communities.
- 1985~1989 provided dietary advises to tennis player Wang Shi-ting and marathon runner Su Ze-ning
- 1996～1997 conduced Environmental friendly campaign - Cherish our foods
- 1997~2005 promoted daily consumption fruits and vegetables including “half Jin of veggies plus two serves of fruits”, “2 fruits and 3 veggies” campaigns, and three 20-seconds public service announcements.
- 2005 promoted consumption of local seasonal fruits and vegetables with 8 media sessions.
- 2013 till now, continue running consumption of fruits and vegetables promotional campaign - Fruits and Veggies Make You Happy, including surveys and press conferences.
- 2008 till now, working on reducing sodium intake, ran campaigns “More sodium? Good for you?” in 2008, “Sodium in Soup” and “There is more sodium than you think in instance soups” in 2013. Conducted a series of “Reduce Salt Intake” training classes for caterers and the public in community education centres in 2012 to 2013.
- 2009 promoted DASH diet in co-ordination with Academia Sinica’s “Dietary Plan to Prevent Hypertension” campaign.
- 2010 till now, promoting consumption of whole grains. Advocated regulation of whole grains food labelling in 2010 and conducted a series of campaigns to promote consumption of “true” whole grains including “Eat Whole Grain for Your Health ” press conferences, “TRUE Whole Wheat Flour Makes the Difference!” with 13 seminars which involving experts, merchants and bakers in 2011, “Say Hi to Brown Rice” in 2012, “High in Whole Grain, No Three-Hypers” press conferences and “Whole Grain Baking Competition”.
1986~ As the first organisation promoted the concept of weight control, conducted a series of activities for children, parent-child, and adults
- 1986~1993 As the first organisation conducted “Reduce Body Weight Competition (Adults)” , “One reduces body weight, the whole family benefits”, “Parent-child weight control classes” in 33 sessions, with more than 3000 participants.
- 1989~1992 targeted on under-weight people, conducted 6 “Put on Weight Classes”, “Slim or Fat at your choice” class. Published the survey results of “Perceptions of fat and slim”.
- 1999～2003 undertook the weight control campaign appointed by the Ministry of Education, counselled 250 for elementary and junior high schools every year.
- 1999~2000 conducted a “Body Image” survey and a “Tailor made body figure” press conference.
- 1999~2006 clarification of improper weight reducing methods. Reviewed weight reducing schemes provided by beauty salons/clinics. Conducted a series of press conferences, including “The Truth about Sliming” in 1999, “Mis-conceptions - Rice is Fattening Survey” in 2000, “Top 10 Promotion Gimmicks in Sliming” in 2004, “Who is making the myth about sliming?” in 2005 and “ Don’t be duff!Take this, You’ll be slim!” in 2006.
- 2004 conducted weight reducing competition for individuals.
- 2005 conducted weight reducing competition for groups.
- 2005 successfully advocated to include waist circumference in the standardised health check.
- 2005 produced award winning TV and radio commercial for rational weight control.
- 2009~2013 undertook the health and healthy weight promotion campaigns by the Ministry of Education for elementary and junior high schools.
1987~ To advocate regulations of school luncheons and foods sold in schools and to improve food quality in pre-schools
- 1987 conducted press conferences to advocate regulations of school luncheons.
- 1991~1992 held five baby and toddler nutrition seminars.
- 1994～1996 ran “Drink Water for Good Health”campaigns.
- 1994~1996 held over 40 meetings that gathered all related parties to set up regulations of foods in schools.
- 1996 enforced regulations of foods in schools in Taipei. From1996 till now, undertaking various school foods related projects assigned by the Taipei City government.
- 2000 held a press conference to urge Ministry of Education enforcing regulations of foods sold in schools country wide.
- 2005, the regulations governing “Drinks and Snacks sold in schools”, were enforced by the Ministry of Education.
- 2006 conduced unhealthy foods sold in schools survey.
- 2004 held two press conferences for the survey results about foods served in pre-schools.
- 2000~2006, continued to advocating for the regulations of foods in pre-schools through local governments and conducted 45 seminars for staffs at pre-schools.
- 2007~ till now, undertaking Ministry of Education projects in assisting schools to comply with the regulations on school luncheons, drinks and snacks sold in schools and monitoring their compliances.
- 2011，appointed by the Ministry of Education to establish a nutrition and hygiene plan to regulate food sold in senior high schools.
- 2012~2013 appointed by the Ministry of Education to amend the regulations governing school luncheons and to produce a user manual.
- 2013~2016 appointed by the Ministry of Education to assist colleges and universities to comply with food hygiene requirements.
- 2015 till now, appointed by the Ministry of Education to promote healthy diets in colleges and universities.
- 2015~2014 promoted healthy food sold in school neighbourhoods jointly with Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- 2015 appointed by the Ministry of Health and Welfare to establish breakfast nutrition benchmarks for elementary and junior high school students.
1988~ to establish the foundation of Nutritional Education
- 1988~2003 conducted series of Nutritional Education for Children.
- 1991 developed “dietary traffic light signal” as indications of healthy foods to promote the concept of health diet.
- 2001 conducted parent-child dietary survey.
- 2003 conducted 70 children’s plays to promote consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- 2005 till now, held enormous press conferences to emphasise the importance of adequate calcium intake in schools children, including survey results of dairy consumption of schools children.
- 2006 till now，ran and keep on running campaigns in promoting “2 serves of milk a day” in 460 elementary schools with over 8000 participants.
- 2007 till now, undertaking series of campaigns assigned the Ministry of Education in how to select healthy drinks. Conducted several press conferences and TV commercials.
- 2008 published the concept of modern dietary risks “W” and conducted healthy camps for children.。
- 2010 till now, to focus on parent-child nutritional educational issues, developed 10 strategies for kids to love healthy foods, including parent-child cooking summer camps, photography competitions, grandparent-child dietary plan, and “happy family meal” press conference.
- 2010 published the award winning book “Children's diet education - Let’s enjoy the meal” in children's diet education.
- 2010 till now, running the healthy kids campaigns sponsored by the Nestlé Healthy Kids Global Programme.
- 2011 till now conducting campaigns to promote consumption of whole grains to children.
- 2012 conducted survey of elementary school students’ breakfast.
- 2014 conducted “Happy kids” campaign to draw public attentions on children’s BMI, waist/hight index.
- 2014 conducted campaigns to promote physical activities.
- 2017 till now, conducted campaigns to promote good dietary habit and regular physical activities.
- 1990 till now, conducted a series of seminars for school teachers and staffs to support them in nutritional education, including 103 sessions of “Healthy Teachers”, 14 sessions of “Tale-teller” for school volunteers”, 3 sessions of “Balanced Diet” and “School farmers”, 16 sessions of “Nutritional Education for Children”.
- 2002 to now, developed various award wining educational kits, including 21 posters, 18 DMs, 22 booklets, 20 multi-medias.
2000 to clarify misconceptions, push for more comprehensive regulations and to encourage food providers to produce healthier foods
- 2000 conducted surveys on commercial products, promoted healthy concepts to the public, urged food providers to produce healthier foods, including oil, snacks, drinks, dairy products, fast foods, and instant foods.
- 2003~2009 advocated easy-to-read nutrition labels, conducted 4 press conferences and public hearings.
- 2007, 2012, 2015 conducted a series of press conferences of “Healthy foods, are they really healthy?” to reiterate the concept of “healthy food” and the effects the additional ingredients.
- 2009 advocated Regulations Governing the Product Names and Labelling of Prepackaged Fresh Milk, Sterilized Milk, Flavored Milk, Milk Drink, and Milk Powder which were then enforced by Ministry of Health and Welfare in February 2014.
- 2011 advocated Regulations Governing the Labelling of Packaged Beverages Claimed to Contain Fruit and/or Vegetable Juice which were then enforced by Ministry of Health and Welfare in March 2014.
- 2015 till now, advocating regulations governing labelling on flavoured alcoholic drinks to follow the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation.
- 2015 advocated Regulations Governing the Product Names and Labelling of Prepackaged Butter, Cream, Margarine and Fat Spreads which were then enforced by Ministry of Health and Welfare in 2017
- 2015 advocated regulation of prohibiting use of artificial trans-fat.
- 2018 till now, advocating regulations governing the labelling of soy drink products.
- 2010 appointed by Ministry of Health and Welfare to study the feasibility of nutrition labelling on drinks sold by beverage shops and to promote proper indications of energy and sugar content.
- 2012~2014 promoted amendment of the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation.
- 2015 appointed by the Department of Health, the Taipei City Government, to set up the audition plan in Food Registration Platform.
- 2015-2016 appointed by Food and Drug Administration to assist food manufactures in food labelling.
2020 Nutritional Education for Elderlies